Boxing Gloves can be both vegan and ethical. If you are an athlete, or simply enjoy going to the gym for fun, you can fit yourself out with the latest ethical gear.
The good news is that vegan boxing gloves are easy to find, while being affordable and durable. We will be taking a look at our Top 4 favourite vegan boxing gloves to cover various styles and abilities.
Vegan boxing gloves are more affordable than leather gloves, plus, they aren’t prone to fading and may even be less irritating on the skin. There are plenty of great reasons to shop for synthetic gloves.
All You Need To Know About Vegan Boxing Gloves:
If you are in the market for a new pair of boxing gloves, you will want to make sure you get the perfect fit!
- Gloves should have a snug fit and always feel comfortable.
- Your fingertips should meet or be grazing the top of the gloves.
- Always fit your gloves when you have your hand wraps on.
- Ensure the straps are not too tight and check if you can easily make a fist.
- Measure your hand’s circumference (excluding the thumb) with a tape measure and find out your correct body weight to find the best size.
- If you are still unsure, size your gloves at the gym or in-store.
Here is an easy to follow sizing chart for boxing gloves:
|Boxer’s Weight||Hand Circumference Without Wrap||Weight Size|
|40-54 kg||5.5” - 6.5”||8 oz.|
|54-68 kg||6.5” - 7.5”||10 oz.|
|68-84 kg||7.5” - 8.5”||12 oz|
|84+ kg||8.5” - 9.5”||14 oz.|
Are Vegan Boxing Gloves Expensive?
Genuine leather is expensive. So when it comes to sports apparel, and budget, this depends on what purpose you have for your gloves. Are you using your boxing gloves to fight at an elite level, or do you go to a fun muay thai fitness class at the gym? How much you spend certainly will determine the overall quality, performance and durability of your gloves. There are vegan gloves on the market for everyone, and they start at a very affordable price point.
Is Vegan Leather Ethical?
Vegan leather is the best solution for those who are looking to avoid using animal products. No animals are harmed in manufacturing vegan leather, and it is often a more cost-effective product.
However, vegan leather’s ethical standards have come into question because faux leather is usually made from plastic, think chemicals and fossil fuels, and therefore cause damage to the environment. Most vegan leather goods are manufactured from PVC or PU plastic which contains high levels of phthalates and other toxins that end up in the landfill.
This is a case of personal choice where one has to decide which option they prefer. Animal leather is manufactured with chemicals too due to the tanning process. While faux leather is not a 100% green alternative, it is considered the preferred choice by vegans for several reasons. These include the vast resources needed to raise livestock for leather, greenhouse gas emissions, water air and soil pollution, and workers right in the animal agriculture and tanning industry.
Does ethical vegan leather exist? Yes!
Some companies are trying to find both a vegan and an eco-friendly leather option. Sanabul, a company known for its boxing and jiu-jitsu apparel, have already started making vegan leather boxing gloves from cactus leather!
Let’s dive into our selection of best vegan boxing gloves! (and if you are interested in other sport supplies, take a look at our selection of the best training shoes)
Top 4 Best Vegan Boxing Gloves
Our No.1 Choice - Venum Unisex Elite Boxing Gloves
The number one spot goes to a long-standing favourite in the boxing industry - Venom. Made in Thailand using a high-quality imitation leather called Skintex, the Venum Elite boxing gloves are made to perform. Venum specialises in boxing, karate and MMA gloves and offers vegan boxing gloves and pro-boxing gloves for men, women and children.
- Featuring interior mesh panels for thermal regulation (sweat-resistant)
- A wide array of colours to suit every boxers style
- Excellent shock absorption with triple-density foam
- 100% Premium Skintex Leather with strengthened seams for durability
- Available in 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 oz weights
- The gloves run as a larger fit and may be more challenging for someone with a smaller frame to get used to the gloves’ feel.
- The Elite gloves may take longer to break in depending on how often you train
Beginner to Intermediate Choice - VIP Vital Impact Protection Beginner Training Gloves
The VIP Range Of Boxing Gloves is designed by former European Champion Jamie Moore and worn by many current Pro Boxers. These gloves are ideal for various sports, including boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, and can be used in MMA training or sparring. Made from polyester, the VIP gloves are free from animal material.
- Designed by professionals
- Available in 6, 8 and 12 oz weights
- Colours are black & white, red & black and purple & black
- Affordable price point
- Great for use at the gym or boxercise classes
- Features a hook loop velcro fastener
- Designed for beginner level so you will likely need to upgrade as you progress
Performance Choice - Rival Boxing RS100 Professional Sparring Gloves
Designed for sparring, professional-level training and countless rounds of high-performance boxing; the Rival RS100 are sure to impress. The gloves have highly padded wrist support explicitly designed for sparring and have a soft cloth lining for added comfort. These unique gloves are available in three colour profiles: white & gold, silver & blue and black & gold.
- Layered foam padding for shock absorption and protection
- Ergonomic True-Fist Construction for the perfect fit
- Manufactured with superior Super Rich Micro-Fibre which is highly durable
- Sleek construction for both performance and style
Women’s Choice - Unorthodox Silver Justice Vegan Women’s Boxing Gloves
The Unorthodox brand has created a new range of vegan, non-leather boxing gloves just for women. The Silver Justice gloves are made to protect the wrist and provide maximum protection for the athlete. Ideal for bag work, training, sparring, and pad work. The range also features two different vegan boxing gloves for women; the Ice White Vegan Gloves and the Black Mamba Vegan Gloves.
- Specifically designed for women boxers
- Layered foam padding for comfort and protection
- Support for the wrist with hook and loop closure
- Fast and easy to adjust during training
- Only available in size 14 oz weight
You don't have to be vegan to benefit from a pair of vegan boxing gloves! Vegan boxing gloves are a fantastic way to avoid animal products when it comes to your sporting apparel. Vegan boxing gloves are affordable, durable, and high-performing with the quality of synthetic leather to develop to meet consumer demand. Go ahead and give them a try today.
And if you want to discover more about leather-free accessories, you can take a look at our selection of vegan wallets to keep diving more into the vegan leather topic.