Summer may be over, but it’s never too early to start planning next year’s wardrobe! If you’re searching for a pair of vegan sandals that are stylish, durable and comfortable, we’ve got just the brand for you: Birkenstock.
Today, the brand name ‘Birkenstock’ is almost synonymous with the term ‘sandals’ – and for good reason! Birkenstocks offer a timeless design and quality, unisex fit. They’re now a must-have for every vegan, with a gorgeous range of cruelty-free sandals available.
Wondering whether it’s time to invest in a pair of vegan Birkenstock sandals? We’ve summarised everything you need to know about Birkenstock’s vegan collection to help you make the right decision for you.
Birkenstock first launched its vegan collection in 2017, years before many other high-street brands decided to follow suit. The brand even abides by the Birkenstock Code of Conduct to ensure the integrity of its collection, which includes having its vegan materials verified by independent testing labs.
When you purchase a pair of vegan Birkenstocks, you can rest assured that they’re 100% cruelty-free!
Are you ready to choose the perfect vegan Birkenstocks for you? Before you figure out your preferred style, it’s worth knowing the range of vegan-friendly materials on offer!
Birkenstock’s vegan collection is particularly special for one major reason: it’s produced from Birkenstock’s own synthetic materials!
The brand’s commitment to designing and manufacturing vegan-friendly materials shines through in every pair of sandals. What’s more, by investing in its own leather and wool alternatives, Birkenstock ensures the quality of every shoe.
Nevertheless, many items from Birkenstock’s vegan collection still sport its iconic oak cork footbed. This supple, absorbent sole is what has catapulted Birkenstock sandals into the mainstream. They’ve also cemented the popularity of this German brand throughout the UK – and the rest of the world!
Birkenstock’s ergonomic oak cork base is designed to support the shape of your foot, which makes wearing them for long periods much more comfortable than you might expect.
Although most Birkenstocks boast the same sole, the style of sandal you choose will dictate the synthetic material it’s crafted with. Each material offers its own look and feel, alongside a range of benefits and drawbacks.
To help you understand the key differences between the many vegan-friendly materials used to bring Birkenstocks to life, we’ve put together the following guide:
Vegan Birkenstocks Materials Guide
- Birko-Flor – Birko-Flor is perhaps the most popularly used synthetic material within Birkenstock’s vegan collection. It’s a vegan, synthetic material that is kind to the skin yet extremely hard-wearing. This makes it the perfect material for a sturdy pair of sandals.
- Birko-Flor Nubuck – Birko-Flor Nubuck is a vegan alternative to velvet-like Nubuck leather. With Birko-Flor Nubuck, Birkenstock’s vegan sandals offer the same ultra-soft feel – without a single animal product in sight.
- Birko-Flor Patent – Birko-Flor Patent offers a glossy finish, making it the ideal alternative to patent leather. If you’re looking for a pair of Birkenstocks to wear in a professional environment, such as the office, Birko-Flor Patent sandals are the pick for you!
- Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) – EVA is an ultra-light plastic that can be shaped and moulded easily. This means it’s extremely comfortable, as it moulds to the shape of your foot. EVA is also very tough and scratch-resistant.
- Canvas – Canvas is a popular material used in the production of many vegan shoes and accessories. This stitched fabric may be difficult to tear, but it’s worth noting that canvas isn’t waterproof – unlike Birko-Flor and EVA. If you purchase a pair of canvas Birkenstocks, you’ll want to wear them in the summer!
- Microfibre – Microfibre is an ultra-soft yet still highly resistant material. Birkenstock typically incorporates microfibre into the lining and insoles of its shoes, giving your feet an extra cushion while you walk.
So, now you know how Birkenstock makes its vegan collection. The next step is knowing which style to buy!
Birkenstock’s vegan line contains cruelty-free versions of its most recognisable designs, so you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing the perfect pair.
Birkenstock’s Arizona sandal is, without a doubt, its most iconic design. You’ll be pleased to know that Birkenstock’s vegan Arizona range is just as classic.
The range also offers a selection of colours to choose from – from blush pink to khaki. These timeless, two-strap sandals are ideal for summer and are available in both Birko-Flor and Birko-Flor Nubuck.
Birkenstock’s one-strap Madrid sandals sport a sophisticated buckle, giving them a little extra something. Like the Arizona design, the Madrid sandals are incredibly popular. However, they come in a wider selection of patterns and colours than Birkenstock’s Arizona vegan range.
We particularly love the Madrid in Watercolour Flower White – the ideal sandal for a summer wedding or garden party!
If you like to keep your sandals secure on your feet, Birkenstock’s vegan Gizeh sandals could be the top choice for you! With a thong-style strap, the Birko-Flor Gizeh sandals promise to stay firmly in place as you walk.
They’re available in a variety of tones, with the option to choose a platform sole for added height. The Gizeh sandals are a true statement shoe!
The vegan Medina sandals offer a similar design to Birkenstock’s Gizeh style, but with a slightly more rustic look. They’re available in a selection of muted tones, such as Saddle Matt Navy, which makes them ideal for the workplace.
Remember – everyone needs a pair of office-appropriate sandals!
The vegan Super-Birki shoes sport a sweet, slip-on style that’s ideal for enjoying a short walk or for wandering around the house. If you’re popping to the shops or tending to your garden, these comfortable polyurethane sandals are the ones for you!
The vegan Boston sandal from Birkenstock offers a simple clog design. They’re produced with Birko-Flor Nubuck, which gives them a soft, velvet-like look. Searching for a truly comfortable pair of shoes that’ll keep your feet warm and cosy? The Boston is the style for you!
When it comes to comfort, there’s nothing quite like Birkenstock’s Amsterdam range. These charming clogs will leave you feeling like you’re walking on a cloud! They’re produced from a supple polyester and felt blend, offering the soft touch of wool without using a single animal product.
Which style of sandal is right for you? Are you a fan of Birkenstock’s vegan Arizona sandals, or are you more of a Super-Birki person? At Vegomm, we’d love to know. Contact us to let us know which Birkenstocks are your favourite!